Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Retiring 1 Day A Week -- And 8 Reasons Why You "Can't"

“Why don’t you retire?” That’s the question I asked myself recently. I’d asked it of others – usually far older than I. But it is an interesting question for anyone – no matter the age. And what did I answer? I had a few pretty good responses to my own question. They were compelling enough to prevent me from throwing in the towel to a generally successful twenty-three year career. But still, the process of asking the question – and several related to it – was an amazingly freeing experience.

How would you answer the question? “Why don’t you retire?” If you have the time, go ahead right now and jot down a few answers to the question. If you’re already retired, then ask yourself “Why didn’t you retire earlier?”

Please don’t assume that I believe that anyone or everyone should retire. In fact, I can make a pretty good argument for never fully retiring. I actually prefer the term re-engagement. But for now, answer the question at hand. “Why don’t you retire?” or “Why didn’t you retire sooner?”

I followed up my hypothetical “Why don’t you …” question with a couple of “What if you…” questions. “If you were forced to retire yesterday, what would you stop doing today that you really don’t like to do?” Its corollary is “If you retired yesterday, what are the things you would start doing (or start doing more of) that there’s not time for currently?” Dan Sullivan, the creator of The Strategic Coach Program, refers to this as “The Retirement Trick”.

As I went through it, I discovered there were quite a few things on each list. I wouldn’t run (or even attend) most staff meetings. I wouldn’t spend time with people who don’t value my time. I wouldn’t feel guilty about not getting everything done. I wouldn’t feel it was important that my business and my clients depend on me so much. I wouldn’t wear so many hats and feel I had to make everyone happy. It’s kind of a cool feeling to imagine that world.

Now I love so many things about my career. In fact 80% of the aspects of my career didn’t make this list. But the 20% that did were quite draining. And imagining letting some of that go, changed my perspective about the career.

The flipside question was even more interesting for me. “What would I do or do more of that there just never seems to be enough time for?” Sleep, exercise, read, write, develop fresh concepts, inspire others, speak, love more deeply, spend time with those I care about, relax, dream, spend time in nature, and that’s just a start! I bet your answers are similar in some respects.

Like me, you probably have things you’ve always wanted to do – or do more of. We put them off for another day, or year, or decade. But why? We may never get to them. Or when we do, the opportunity or our health may not still be there to enjoy them. Many of these things don’t require us to retire from our jobs or other obligations. But if you’re like me, the complexities of my business or my “busyness” are convenient excuses.

So I decided to retire. It lasted five minutes. A quick look at the economy, my financial picture and my family’s needs quickly made me rethink that. Instead, I decided to retire ONE DAY A WEEK. It’s an interim step. It’s a test. It’s a change in perspective. It’s still scary – but in a good way. It’s energizing. Maybe soon it will be two or three days a week. For now, one is enough to give me a dramatically different vantage point on the world both inside and outside of my career. One day a week, I don’t go to the office. I don’t check email or voice mail. I don’t actively think about the traditional aspects of my business. And get this … I don’t feel guilty about it. I relax a bit more. I enjoy nature. I read. I write (this article, for example). I still meet with people and explore possibilities. I am imagining, designing and working toward an emerging “different” career. I’m re-engaging.

I believe that others can do so as well. Some do so because they are forced to. The downsizing and restructuring of corporate America has and continues to force people into new realities. Though that path is often harsh, at the other end of the transition, executives and laborers alike often find remarkable freedom. I’ve helped a number of them in their transitions. Though not every story is a happy one, many have found a much brighter, more fulfilling, and more rewarding future as they designed their own re-engagement.

Back to the question I posed earlier … “Why don’t you retire?” Or if that seems too drastic for you, “Why can’t you retire at least one day a week?” Here are some of the common reasons and how you might consider overcoming them.

I can’t afford it. Maybe “yes”; maybe “no”. Certainly there would be important financial considerations. But be sure that you know what you “need” before you jump to the conclusion that your current lifestyle has to be funded at the same level to bring happiness. In addition, you may be more productive working only 4 days a week.

I could never get all the work done. Chances are whether you work 10 hours less each week or 10 hours more, you still won’t get all the work done! Time urgency helps us to get the most important things done and that’s what really counts. With less time available, we get efficient – like the day before a two-week vacation. Important stuff rises to the top and we crank it out.

Others wouldn’t approve or understand. Maybe not. But this isn’t about them. It’s about you. And most people when they you tell them why and they see your courage in taking the step are very supportive. My wife, my staff, my colleagues and clients are inspired by my new energy. The leap of faith is worth the risk.

My boss wouldn’t let me. That’s a tough one – whether you work for someone else – or worse, yourself. In either case, it’s possible that he or she is a tyrant. But employers and supervisors and certainly entrepreneurs are more attuned than ever to results rather than hours being the appropriate measuring stick. Suggest a trial to your supervisor (or to yourself, if self employed). If the essential results on a weekly basis can be delivered as well with a ½ day or full day a week off, then it continues or expands. If not, the traditional approach continues. What do you have to lose?

The workplace couldn’t go on without me. That’s a scary thought. So does that mean you have a life sentence? It’s not a healthy model for the business and it’s a terrible model for you. And the reality is, if you didn’t show up for work for a day or a week or a month, life would go on. It may be a blow to your ego. But it’s true. Other ways of getting things done would emerge. But they can’t emerge with you there.

I love what I do. I do too. I just didn’t love every aspect of what I did. And those that I didn’t like took away the energy from what I did love. Figure out how to dump, delegate or otherwise offload the stuff you don’t like so you can truly treasure what you love.

I don’t know what I’d do instead. That’s okay. I always say to young people … “the best way to get a job is to have a job. And if you don’t have job, then your job is to get a job!” The same principle applies here. On one hour or ½ day or a full day a week, make this the essential task – to dream, to explore, to read or to try new things. You may love them or hate them, but you’ll have something to react to.

I have no idea how to make it happen. Why would you? You haven’t needed to. And you probably haven’t given yourself permission to believe you could or need to. But if you identified anything that you have always wanted to do or try – then you need to. And figuring out how to make it happen is partly an internal voyage. But it is also helpful to have outside help too. There are tons of books, workshops, mentors and coaches out there that can help support you – once you decide to jump.

And jumping is what it is all about. I actually call my one-day-a-weeks “Jump!” days. The exclamation point is intentional. I admire people who can throw all caution to the wind take off their proverbial clothes and dive head-first into unknown waters. It’s just not me. But seeing the river of opportunity run by me and feeling land-locked by expectations and responsibilities is no way to live either. So, consider what I did. Find some slow moving water in a shallow area with supportive people around and make a little jump. I think you’ll be glad you did.

No comments: